Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Broiled Parmesan Tomatoes


Vegetables can be a challenge this time of year. Granted, the supermarkets are doing a better job than ever with displays of produce from all over the world. The flavor just isn't the same when the produce is out of season, though. This recipe works wonderfully during the summer, when tomatoes are bountiful, fresh and local. It also serves well to doctor-up winter-time tomatoes. (Sometimes the texture is just off a little...ya know?)

I picked up this recipe when I was a young bride from the "First Lady Cookbook". It was compiled 30 years ago by ladies who live along the "George Washington Trail" in South Carolina. This is one of my favorite side-dishes when we have company.

6 Tomatoes
1/2 c. Sour Cream
1/2 c. Mayonnaise
1/4 c. Grated Parmesan
1 t. garlic salt
1 t. chopped parsley
Juice of 1 lemon

Cut tomatoes in half crosswise. Arrange in a shallow pan, cut side up. Combine remaining ingredients, blending well. Divide mixture between tomatoes, topping each cut half. Broil until bubbly. Yields 12 servings.

This post is linked to the Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life As Mom.

(I must confess...I keep forgetting to take photos of my food. So, I located the above photo at bing image search. Please accept the above photo as a stand-in for mine which look pretty much identical.)

2 comments:

  1. I love broiled tomatoes with parmesan! The heat brings out the sweetness in otherwise bland tomatoes. I have also made them on the grill, sprinkled with both cheese and chopped pecans. I've never made them exactly like this recipe, though, so I'm going to bookmark it to try very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo...I love pecans. I'm going to have to try your variation, too! I hope you enjoy them, come back and let me know what you think afterward.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails