Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday Devotional



I don't know if this is something that I will do consistently or not. Frankly, Sunday, the "day of rest", tends to be a little chaotic for my family. So goes the life of a family in ministry. But, this morning I have a few minutes.

I thought I would share a devotional that I wrote for an acquisition work that will be published this Spring. I am very excited about this for a couple of reasons.

1-The proceeds from the book will be going to fund scholarships for women who are seeking a seminary education.

2-It is my first time being published.

There were very specific formatting and word-count limitations, causing it to be short and to the point. As you can tell, I wrote on a subject that is dear to my heart.

Background Passage: Psalm 82

Focal Verse:
“Provide justice for the needy and the fatherless; uphold the rights of the oppressed and destitute.” (Psalm 82:3)

This Psalm is meant to warn national leaders of their responsibility to protect the weakest and most vulnerable among those in their charge. When coupled with James 1:27, it is clear that this same responsibility lies at the feet of every believer.

My husband and I have felt a calling to adoption for many years. Recently God made it clear that the time had come for us to begin that journey. As we began delving into the adoption process, we were surprised by the reactions of many of our Christian friends. All have been supportive, but few seem to realize the Scriptural mandate that we have been given as believers to be active in orphan care. Many have never considered their own position as a co-heir with Christ, and the beautiful reflection of that which we are given through adoption. Paul Pennington, in his blog, Hope for Orphans, stated, “Caring for orphans is God’s will for everybody. Adoption is not.” Consider what role God would have you take in the care of the weakest among us. Whether it is through foster care, adoption, advocacy, or financially supporting those who choose adoption, God’s calling is clear and unavoidable.


*The photo is my own, taken of the oldest standing church building in Antigua.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails