Monday, February 8, 2010

Bakerella's Peach Crunch Cake


I love peaches. In fact I am a peach snob. I won't buy them in the grocery store. They must come from a peach shed. (It's a Southern thing, I'll tell you about it in a new series called Southern Charm sometime soon.) Once a year, in late July, there is a variety of peach available in South Carolina called the Freestone. It is called this because you can cut the peach in half and pop the stone out with your fingers. This was the variety of peach in Eden, I am sure of it. The smell alone makes my mouth water.

Alas, it is not late July, and this is not South Carolina. It is early February and there is an ungodly amount of snow on the ground outside.

A few weeks ago, I noticed a recipe on Bakerella's blog for a peach crunch cake. (If you don't know her, get to know her...she is fabulous!) This recipe is different from any I've seen. It calls for canned peaches, which I can deal with for baking. It looked so amazing that I just had to try it. I cannot wait to see how it turns out with a few of my beloved Freestones this summer!

Give it a try, you will not be disappointed!

Bakerella's Peach Crunch Cake

24.5 oz peaches in light syrup (she used jarred, I used 2 cans)
1 yellow cake mix
1 stick butter, cut into 16 even slices
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c finely chopped nuts

Dump the peaches into a 9X13 dish (including syrup). Cut the peaches in half and distribute them evenly. Dump the cake mix on top and spread it evenly. Place the butter pats, spaced evenly, on top. Sprinkle on the brown sugar. Sprinkle on the chopped nuts. Bake at 350* for 40 minutes.

I wish I had a Smell-O-Blog so that you could get a whiff of what is coming from my oven right now...MMMmmmm.

If you want to see Bakerella's full tutorial for this recipe, you can check it out HERE.

*This post is linked to the Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as Mom...check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails