Saturday, March 27, 2010

My Quiche Experiment ~ Ham Casserole


My family loves my quiche. It is one item that I know EVERYONE will ALWAYS be excited to see on the table. One 10-inch quiche, with a side of fruit, has always fed my guys and me without a problem. That was until my boys became part-Hoover and started sucking up any food in sight. What in the world am I gonna do when they hit high school? (Denise told me this week that it was a good thing that I know how to buy food cheap. Amen.)

At first, I was going to make two quiche...quiches...that's not right, it must be quiche. (What is the plural for quiche, anyway???) It rhymes with geese, so I'll use the same rule...two quiche. (My 12th grade English teacher just broke a sweat without knowing why.)

Anyway...I was going to make two of them. Then, I decided that I didn't want to wash two pie stones. So,I started trying to figure out how to make one really big quiche...which kind of became a breakfast casserole, that still tastes like quiche. I used a can of crescent rolls as the base, which turned out nicely. But, I missed the distinct pie crust flavor from my quiche. Next time, I think I will try making a big batch of pie dough and lining my casserole with it.

We like baked ham in our quiche. Occasionally, I will buy a big ham and cook it for supper, then cube what is left and freeze it in quart-sized bags. On quiche day, I just pull one out and let it thaw.

One other note, I used my Pampered Chef Oval Stoneware Baker, which I have just discovered is no longer available. I estimate that it has about a 10-cup capacity.

Without further adieu...here's the recipe that I came up with. It is husband, 9-year old and 4-year old approved.

Quiche-Like Ham Casserole
1 Tube Crescent Rolls
5 Large Eggs
1 Can Evaporated Milk
Salt & Pepper OR Cavendar's Greek Seasoning (My Choice)
3-4 Cups Cubed Ham
2-4 Cups Grated Sharp Cheddar
(sometimes I use half cheddar and half mozzarella)

Preheat oven to 375°. Press crescent rolls into bottom and partially up the sides of a medium-sized casserole dish. Place casserole in oven while it preheats (no more than 5 minutes)to partially-cook the crescent rolls. Whisk together eggs, evaporated milk, and seasoning. When oven is preheated, remove casserole. Arrange ham on top of the crescent dough, then top with grated cheese. Pour egg mixture over the top. The liquid should just about cover the dough. Bake for 45 minutes, or until puffy and set in the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails